Thursday 24 September 2009

If British Airways can do it, so can I...

I never thought I would look to British Airways for climate change inspiration. Well in actual fact, I wouldn't say they are my raison d'etre right now either, but it was interesting to see that as I embark on a quest to cut my own carbon footprint so too are the airlines. The aviation industry is urging the UN to include a proposal to cut airline emissions by 50% for 2050. It comes on the back of pressure for the industry to introduce reforms, something that was not included as part of the Kyoto protocol. BA's Chief Exec Willie Walsh stated, that their proposal represented  "a chance to rectify that omission" (see article).

It is pretty clear that this is a preemptive move to prevent higher taxes being levied on the industry. If the end result is a reduction in overall emissions being produced by the worlds' airlines however, should that be of concern? (A topic for another blog perhaps). What has got me thinking is the correlation to the individual. We too were not included in the Kyoto protocol. Our countries were of course, but me, Yu-Wen-Cho, and Dajana Lueppker were not. What then is our role in all this? Is it that we wait for our political and business leaders to come up with a set of plans that we hope will do the job? What if those plans include changes we wouldn't particularly welcome - further taxes on transport or food for instance? We too should think about introducing changes before we're subjected to heavy handed legislation. It would at least make the transition easier. 

Of course, as opposed to the airlines we can't pass the cost onto anyone else. That said, many carbon reduction activities also translate into savings - driving a smaller car, buying secondhand, using less electricity and gas, changing your light bulbs, walking more, eating less red meat. In fact, it seems clear that by reducing your footprint, you can also reduce your outgoings. Something that a lot of people could benefit from at the moment.

Anyhow, I am now looking at my current efforts as a preemptive strike. Surely real change can't be brought about if the 6945538785 (and rapidly counting)  inhabitants of this planet go about their business in the same way. (Go check out the population counter if you want a visual reminder of just how quickly we're multiplying!) Whether you think you should have to make changes or not is beside the point really, the reality is that you will have to do something at some stage - and you can either do it voluntarily or by force. I'm choosing the voluntary route...

So Day 2, how am I going? Well, yesterday got off to a rather good start actually. Instead of running on my treadmill for an hour (which I assume must burn a fair about of electricity) I decided to go for a jog outside. Aside from the fact I forgot to take water and nearly collapsed of dehydration after 7km, it was really rather pleasant being among nature rather than in my spare room. It did occur to me that if people were to turn to free outdoor activities (running, walking, hiking, biking) they could save themselves the cost of gym memberships, exercise equipment and class fees and make a decent cut to their carbon emissions. Of course this isn't a radical revelation, but it is worthwhile realising that it is possible to make some fairly simple changes in your life that are not only of benefit to you but for the environment. And win-win has to be a good thing doesn't it!

Aside from my run, I made sure to switch off every light except for the room I was in. I decided not to go into town. I turned all my appliances off standby. Oh, and I've also decided to buy a bike so that I can cut down on my car trips to the train station, shops etc. etc. Rather than going out and buying a brand spanking new bike imported from Asia however, I am bidding on a second hand mountain bike on ebay (please no attempts to outbid me!). I figure I not only save the emissions on a new bike, but it's also lots cheaper - and I just have to pick it up from someone local. Check, check and check!

So all in all I am feeling positive about the initial steps I've made. Now I just need to look for more inspiration... the cement industry perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment