Wednesday 23 September 2009

Oh my, what big feet you have...

Having returned from the Th!nk2 launch in Copenhagen last night, and with Climate Change at the forefront of my mind, I decided to check my carbon footprint. A simple means (I thought) to confirm my part in the valiant effort to safeguard the survival of humankind. To my horror, it turns out my feet are rather larger than I'd expected. No strike that, they are veritably enormous. I am the Godzilla of carbon. Just how big are we talking here folks... well it seems I've clocked up a whopping 10.98 tonnes in the last year (give or take a few kilograms). And that is just for household energy, appliances and travel. Nothing to do with food consumption, purchases or any number of other things.

While this admission may provoke a few gasps of horror out there in cyberspace, more than likely most of you are thinking "so what?".

A little perspective perhaps.

According to ACT ON CO2, which is where I calculated said footprint, the national average for this calculation is 4.46 tonnes. So essentially I'm living a double life - and not a sexy, 007 type thing either. While it's not a revelation that would keep most people awake at night -  I'm telling you, it's put a cold sweat on my brow. Why? Well the problem is (cue acute blushing) I consider myself er... herm to be rather sound on the green credentials. I did afterall volunteer on an emissions reduction project at my previous company, I am examining carbon emissions as part of my PhD, I do wax lyrical on the necessity of doing something about climate change, and I have just signed up to a blogging competition on this very same topic. Yes, the problem is, the very, very big problem is, I'm a hypocrite.

The shocking revelation of my carbon gluttony has definitely pulled me up short. As my friend Jo put it, nothing is more irritating than someone standing on a soapbox while simultaneously flouting the same ideals they're espousing. I'd have to agree. So where does that leave me? Well it's clear that some changes are needed - some rather drastic ones. And so here it is, with 75 days left to COP15 I've decided to dedicate the next three months to investigating, examining, reforming and refining my nasty habits in a bid to cut my carbon footprint to below the national average. The reality is, if someone who actually believes that climate change is a serious threat can't make the necessary changes to their lifestyle, who can?

The question is, how far will I be prepared to go? Am I willing to go without my usual appliances? Is getting stuff off freecycle an option I'd consider? Can I stomach the thought of eating raw and local? Will it seem worth it when I'm walking to the station in the pouring rain? And more crucially am I prepared to (gulp) give up my beloved traveling? The goal here is not simply personal redemption, I want to genuinely understand what changes an average individual can make to their carbon footprint without drastically altering the way they live. No moving into a wigwam in the middle of the Devon, no giving up of trips into the big city and certainly no growing of vegetables in the front yard.

I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment